Product of the Month: M-Lineon: Sep 03, 2018
This months Product of the Month: The Redesigned M-Line.This range is the result of applying both improvements and innovations to an already strong product. The line up of redesigned M-Line marine diesel engines is impressive. With new features, modern appearance, and added benefits, the new M-Line range is designed to meet future market demand.
Innovative top cover
The heat build-up in engine spaces can easily reach temperatures of 70 C°. High ambient temperatures in the engine space can have negative effects on engine performance and installed equipment.
VETUS has developed an elegant yet efficient solution by fitting a water-cooled aluminium top cover. Located directly above the cylinder head, the huge cooling element absorbs radiant heat coming from the engine. This innovative concept results in a significant temperature reduction of up to 15° C - a 20% reduction!
The sturdy, aluminium top cover also reduces the noise level. When combined with the new air filter housing, tests show a sound reduction of about 5 dB(A) and ‘near silent’ operation at a cruising speed of around 2200 rpm. Those present at the test sites have all enthusiastically described the engine sound as being incredibly more pleasant to the ear.
Based on shared experience, the redesigned M-line incorporates many features designed to make life easier for both the boat builder and the end user:
- Service parts such as fuses and relays (A), fuel filter and fuel connections (B), impeller (C), dipstick (D), and oil filter (E) are all easily accessible. On all M4 engines the impeller is located at the front, for even easier access
- The wiring is improved to offer easy connection and extra safety
- All M-line engines are equipped with an electric fuel pump (F), actuated by the ignition switch
- A new air inlet filter housing attenuates the airflow and lowers the induction sound level (G)
- The heat exchanger unit has 26 improvements, including the construction materials and surface treatments
- The plastic front cover enhances safety and appearance. All pulleys and belts are covered, thereby meeting the EC Machinery Directive
- Front mounted oil and fuel filters including a bracket are available as an option, making servicing as convenient as possible (H)
- When higher charging output is required, all M4 engines are designed to accept a second alternator as an option (when a second alternator is fitted, the front cover is not supplied)
- Finally yet importantly, the water-cooled top cover not only reduces engine room temperature, but is designed to be used as a step, making it easier to move around the engine (I)